Thursday, August 22, 2013

Guided Reading Table Upgrades!!!

I have added a couple new things to my guided reading table this year. They are cute AND make life easier!
 I am super excited about my new dry erase circles. I got these Wall Pops from amazon at about $9 for a set of three. I went with the two colors for added fun! They erase really easily and no more passing out boards or trying to work around them! You can reposition them if needed. When I put them on, I just pulled back on side of backing laid that down and slowly peeled the backing away as I put it in place. I figure that is easier than working with the whole thing at once.

Also, I have my bucket lids all finished! I'll be honest my husband did part of the work and my mom the rest so I don't know all the details, but I will share what I know. I got the buckets from Lowes along with a sturdy plywood, screws, and wood glue.  You cut out two circles per bucket. One circle is smaller than the bucket top so it fits inside to prevent slipping. (leaving room for the fabric and vinyl to fit in there too) The other circle is bigger so it will sit on top. You then glue and screw a small to a big. Then you put the stuffing on the bigger circle and cover it with fabric. Staple the fabric to the underside of the seats. Then you go back and add the vinyl covering. Trim off any remaining plastic and fabric. I added a supply list below. 

Using the Buckets:
I made large shipping labels for my buckets. 
Students 1-5, students 6-10... and Pencils
Each student has a gallon baggie with their name on it inside the bucket that goes with their class number. I sat this up on open house so the parents could help and it worked really well. Now they have a place for those extra supplies without it taking up more cabinet space and they make great guided reading chairs. ( You don't want to try slouching on those!) I keep the pencils because I have a pencil system that requires me to pass out pencils.



buckets
plywood
screws
wood glue
stuffing
vinyl "material"? from the sewing section You want a thicker one so it will last
fabric ( 21"x18" will cover a seat) I got mine from the pre-cut material at Wal-Mart
staple gun with staples

No comments:

Post a Comment